WELC Pre-arrival Information
This is a busy and exciting time, so we have created a list of things you need to do before your arrival.
Documents to bring
Please bring the following essential documents with you to Canada, and be sure to make photocopies to leave with family or friends before you leave:
- Valid passport and student visa
- Letter of introduction issued by the Canadian Visa Office that approved your study permit
- Original Letter of Acceptance from the Western English Language Center
- Proof of funds available for your stay in Canada (money transfer, letter of credit, scholarship/assistantship letter or other proof)
- Any other documents recommended by the Canadian Visa Office where you applied for your Study Permit
Carry all of the above documents with you when you travel to Canada and be prepared to show them to the Canadian Immigration officials at the Canadian Port of Entry (e.g., the airport). Do not pack these documents in your checked luggage. A checklist of documents recommended by International and Exchange Student Centre at Western can be found here.
What to Bring
- Clothing for the different seasons
- Something personal from home (music, pictures, books, movies) to help you feel comfortable
- Medications and prescriptions you may need for the first few months
- A credit card
- A long-distance phone card
- A plug adapter OR a transformer for using electricity in Canada if you are bringing electrical appliances
Your arrival in Canada
London is approximately two hours southwest of the City of Toronto in the province of Ontario. There are a number of transportation options available to get you here.
When traveling to Canada by air, we suggest making Toronto your final destination. Once you are in Toronto, you can take the Robert Q Airbus, the train or the bus to London. When you arrive in London, you can take a taxi. It will cost $15-20 to get to Western University.
Robert Q Airbus provides transportation to London and will deliver you to hotels and residences.
If you are flying into London, the London International Airport (YXU) is located at the east edge of the city. From there, you can get to WELC by taking a taxi . There will be taxis waiting at the departures exit.
Please contact us if you have any questions or require special arrangements.
Orientation will take place on the first day of your term. We will be sending you a separate email with details about what time to arrive and where to check-in for Orientation Day.
Please remember to bring your passport along with your study visa for our records. WELC staff will photocopy your documents and return them to you before you leave .
WELC is located in the John George Althouse Faculty of Education Building.
Our address is:
Western English Language Centre Western University
Faculty of Education Building
1137 Western Road
N6G 1G7 519
661-2111 ext. 85252
Emergency phone: 226-378-8130